Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Jul 2024 13:39:07 GMT by Katmc66
I registered as self employed recently, starting a few years ago, but have only started making more than £1k this year. I was regularly employed until June 23. I got letters through to do my self assessments to covered since I started my self employment, fine… nothing to report as less than £1k so should be straight forward. I did these last week. Comes up that I owe tax and that my company car hadn’t been accounted for, for the last few years (21/22) despite my P11d being completed correctly and sent to HMRC via employer. I complete all my self assessments and owe a chunk of tax… ouch. Today I get letters advising of fines over £400 for late payment of tax..! Surely this isn’t my fault, HMRC have given no indication of tax due despite having all the information, if I appeal is this a situation they are likely to waiver the tax due and fines?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 10:39:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you had confirmed that the updated car benefit figure was present in your tax code for the year affected, it could be that some of the information in your tax return is incorrect.

To allow us to check your return, and advise you further, contact our Self Assessment team by webchat or phone via:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.