Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:36:12 GMT by robert78
Currently work paid PAYE. I sell on ebay items not needed or never used + have acquired over the years. I never kept receipts. Many were bought second hand. Sales will be over way over £1000 + 30 items this year. Do i have to report on turnover or profit. How can anyone verify this without receipts to HMRC if they asked for proof. A used mobile phone sells for £500, a pair of shoes £300 patio furniture £700 personal possessions but sales can easily be way over £1000. Do i have to report if profit on items is not over £1000? Even though sales are. If i can not prove it with receipts does this mean i pay tax if so what ammount? What does information does eBay provide to the HMRC, is it total sales? does it show what item was and category item was sold in. do you see items i buy then no longer use and sell years later? It almost makes no sense in selling on ebay far too much hassle. A lot of items are saved from going in rubbish bin if someone can use them i prefer to do this. Not looking to make profit on many household items, kids clothing/toys/hobbies etc
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:55:28 GMT by robert78
Hi can you answer this please, many are unsure of rules.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:16:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi robert78,
Please refer to:
Selling online and paying taxes - information sheet
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:50:27 GMT by robert78
This does not answer any questions asked. Many are looking for clear clarification to the above questions and HMRC refuse to answer.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:57:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi robert78,
We can only provide general information / guidance on this forum. For an answer to a detailed question of this nature, you would need to contact our self assesment helpline on 0300 200 3310, contact our webchat facility at Contact HMRC or seek professional advice.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.