Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 01 Mar 2021 12:36:22 GMT by Kaustav Das
Hi, I am a resident of UK (ILR) with an Indian Passport and I pay tax in the UK. My father, who resides in India wants to gift me some cash (around £20000) from his Indian bank account to help us financially for my wife's medical treatment. If I get that money transferred in one go do I need to declare it or need to pay tax? Further, Does my father need to declare somewhere that it is a gift from him? Finally , it is possible for him to gift me cash over 3-4 transfers within a year? Thanks
Posted Wed, 03 Mar 2021 15:30:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

There are no income tax implications when you receive a cash gift, cash gifts from Uk resident, overseas relative or from a friend.

You may need to check with your bank and here is a link re. inheritance tax and Gifts:

Inheritance Tax

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 09 Jan 2022 18:09:13 GMT by ilaminucci
Hi, I am an Italian national living in London since 2016. I am an employee and pay taxes in the UK. My parents send me between £8,000 and £10,000 annually to my English bank account to help me pay the rent / living costs. Do I need to declare and pay taxes on such amounts? Many thanks
Posted Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:31:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi ilaminucci

This transfer of money would not be subject to tax for income tax purposes.

However, if it generates any interest in a bank then this would be reportable. 


Posted Mon, 07 Feb 2022 14:16:48 GMT by Mvppoa
Hi I live in the UK since 2019 and I'm planning to buy a house. My family wants to send me around £50000 to help me with the purchase. Do I need to pay tax if I use that money to buy a house? Thanks
Posted Mon, 07 Feb 2022 15:43:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

There are no income tax implications on the transfer of the money but if this generates any interest at all in a bank account
then this would be reportable for income tax purposes.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:34:40 GMT by Vita
Hi, I am a polish citizen with a presettled status. My parents would like to transfer me money (around £80,000) from Poland. Do I have to declare it anywhere and is there any tax I would have to pay regarding this transfer?
Posted Mon, 28 Feb 2022 11:14:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would not need to declare the income, you would only need to declare any income that arises from this, such as any bank interest.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 14 Mar 2022 15:01:46 GMT by Flamenco
Dear Forum Team, I am a Russian national living in London since 2018 on an Exceptional Talent Tier 1 Visa. I am a self-employed with a British LLP and pay taxes in the UK. My parents send me between £1,000-£2,000 monthly to my English bank account to help me pay the living costs. Would I need to declare these amounts and pay taxes on those? Thank you so much!
Posted Mon, 14 Mar 2022 15:44:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

There are no income tax implications on the gifts of money unless the money accrues interest in a bank account,
at which point the interest would potentially be subject to tax. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:46:45 GMT by Renogy solar-panel
in really fact ,There are no income tax implications on the gifts of money
Posted Sun, 17 Apr 2022 04:46:12 GMT by Roshan Patel
Hi there - I am a British Citizen living in the UK. My dad who is an indian citizen with UK Permanent Residency wants to send money to us (£50,000). Is this money taxable? Or do I need to do anything to declare this money?
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:39:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please note that cash gifts from overseas are non taxable, so you would not have to declare the amount received.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 19:53:21 GMT by Kshetty
Hi, I’m a UK resident (non-citizen) and would like to receive a gift from my mother living in India to help with a property purchase in the UK. Would this amount received from abroad be taxable? Is there a limit on the amount of money I can receive?
Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 13:58:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You do not need to declare money gifted to you from a family member. However, there may eventually be inheritance tax implications depending on the circumstances. 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 May 2022 16:31:06 GMT by thissongisforyoumylove
Hi, I'm a Ukrainian refugee who has already got a BRP. My parents from Moldova want to help me by depositing to my bank account in Moldova, so I'll be able to make an online Moneygram transfer to myself in the UK. Could there be a problem (taxing as an income) with a transfer from myself in Moldova to myself in the UK? Or should my parents open their own account and make a transfer from there? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 16 May 2022 14:26:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please note there are no tax implications re: the transfer of savings from an overseas bank account to a UK bank account,
so you will not have to report the transaction to HMRC.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 22 May 2022 08:02:15 GMT by vanada eager
Hi, I am from hong kong and have lived in the UK for over 10 years and got a UK passport but I do not have UK citizenship. My parents are retired and living oversea and have the same nationality status as me, aside from that I am also leaving uni next year. And they are worried that if they give me money it will charge them or me tax. since they are planning to provide me with a few large transactions around £9'000 and £14'000 which cover my rent and daily expenses for next year and after next year they are planning to give me an even larger transaction to buy me a house around £300'000. Do I need to declare and pay taxes on such amounts and how much would it be? Thank you for your time.
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 12:03:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You will not pay tax on the cash gift however you will be liable to report any interest that may arise from your bank account. 

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 28 May 2022 17:47:39 GMT by Keithc Chan
If I am going to immigrate to England, my family will later transfer £100000 by two installments for me to purchase a property. Are these two installment subject to taxation? Thanks for your time.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.