Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:34:22 GMT by
Dear Sirs, Below is a statement made by Interactive Brokers: “Residents of the UK, EU countries and other select countries (i.e., Switzerland) may only open an account with Interactive Brokers (UK) Limited, irrespective of where you are domiciled. For your reference, UK Limited acts as an arranger for Interactive Brokers LLC. Interactive Brokers LLC holds clients funds and assets." If in my Interactive Brokers UK account there are cash (e.g. USD, GBP) and securities (e.g. US treasury bonds, US corporate bonds, US stocks, UK stocks) which Interactive Brokers said are held by Interactive Brokers LLC (in US, not in UK), what would be the view of HMRC regarding the locations of those assets in my Interactive Brokers UK account, UK or US? For dividends and coupons/interests generated by those assets in my Interactive Brokers UK account, will they be regarded simply as UK incomes? US incomes that are remitted to UK from US? Or they will still be regarded as offshore (US) incomes? Thank you very much for your attention.
Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 14:28:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

It depends on the currency in which things are paid.

If not paid in sterling, it is foreign income.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.