Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:07:58 GMT by
Hello, I am looking to buy a house for the first time with my wife and I want to cross-check that I use the SDLT calculator correctly. I am a UK national, living and working in the UK. My parents live permanently abroad and have transferred part of their home to me. That home is their primary residence, that home is not my primary residence obviously and I have never received any income out of it. (Essentially my parents transferred equal parts of that house to their children so if something happens to them, we don't have to deal with inheritance lawyers abroad). I don't know the exact monetary value of my parents' house, but my share must be worth between £25K and £75K. I have never bought or owned any property in the UK. My understanding is that the purchase of my first home will result in me owning two or more properties globally but for sure this new home is replacing my main residence. I am currently renting in the UK (as mentioned I am a UK resident, taxpayer, etc.). So, my SDLT should be £0 for the first £250K, not £7500, right? Thanks for any advice. P.
Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:51:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Please contact the Stamp Duty Land Tax team for advice.

Stamp Duty Land Tax

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.