Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:26:51 GMT by Paul Goodstadt
Hello, My partner and I have a joint savings account that we've had for a few years now (not an ISA, regular joint saver). The joint account is in both of our names with each person taking equal (50/50) responsibility for it. They're looking to set up a new savings account with a higher rate of interest and moving some of the savings from the joint account into this. Would they be allowed to transfer more than 50% of the savings from the joint account into this new account (with my permission obviously) without incurring any tax other than that earned on interest from either account? Or would this transfer from a joint savings account to an individually owned account constitute a gift and, therefore, separately incur tax related to the transfer of funds?
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:49:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You would need to contact the bank or building society to check if more than 50% could be transferred from the joint account. The interest in the new account would be taxed based on the current rates. 

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 29 Oct 2023 14:41:11 GMT by Paul Goodstadt
Thank you for your response. The bank has confirmed that it would be possible to make this transfer. What we don't understand is whether we're legally allowed to make this transfer, and if we are, which of us would be paying the tax on any interest earned after the transfer is made. Could you help advise on this?
Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 10:10:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

You would need to discuss this with the bank as they would asdvise on the legallity of the transfer. The account with interst in it would be taxed. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.