Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 17:30:32 GMT by samuelkfp2000
I am filling self assessment and would like to have use Marriage allowance to transfer 1260 pounds of my personal tax allowance to my wife. It is the first time I fill in tax return as I was the UK tax resident from 6-Apr-2022. In “Change your tailored return (page 3)” section, I select “Yes” for the question “Do you want to transfer 10% of your personal allowance to your spouse/civil partner? If you already have a transfer in place, select 'No' as it will be included in your calculation.” In “Change your tailored return (page 3)”, I select “Yes” for the question “Was your total income less than £12,570 (plus up to £6,000 tax free savings interest) and your spouse/civil partner's total income below £50,000? Please see help guidance” And then, I can see the Marriage allowance section. I input my wife first name, last name, NI number, birthday, and our marriage date. After I press Save and continue button, I got an error message: “ERROR: Either you already have a marriage allowance transfer set up or the data you have provided does not match the details held by HMRC. Either 'Delete the marriage allowance section' if MA is already set up or amend the details entered.”. Can you advise how I can complete the marriage allowance section?
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:50:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

We would need to access your record to check what is preventing you entering the marriage allowance transfer details.

You can contact our self assessment team at: 

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.