Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:21:28 GMT by
Question about inheritance tax and the residence nil rate band (RNRB) My mother and father were married and lived together in the same house for 50 years, until my mother died in 2014. My father continued to live in the house until January 2023, when he moved into a care home. They owned the house jointly (50:50). It has been empty for the past 12 months. We are considering selling the house to cover the care home costs. When my mother died, she left her share of the house to my sister and i. At the time, the house was valued at £450k. She also left us cash of an amount such that it used up all of her IHT allowance at the time (£325k). i.e. my sister and i inherited 0.25 of the house each (2 x £112.5k = £225k) and 0.5 each of £325k - £225k = 2 x £50k. I understand that 'in normal circumstances' the remaining IHT allowance of the deceased partner is passed to the surviving partner. I believe that even though the RNRB of £175k was not introduced until 2017, 3 years after my mother's death, that it would still be passed to my father. Two questions .... 1 Is the RNRB of a partner who died before the RNRB was introduced in 2017 passed the partner surviving beyond 2017? 2 Does the fact that ownership of my mother's 50% of the house passed to my sister and i in her will rather than to my father affect the passing on of her RNRB (subject to the fact it wasn't introduced until 2017) to my father? Thx :-)
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:05:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

For advice on this matter, you will need to contact the Inheritance Tax team.

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.