Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2024 06:56:18 GMT by SH1002
i was hoping i can get some clarity in respects to my income tax when working remotely abroad in the UAE. My Question is can i work for longer then 6 Months in the UAE remotely while still being a residence of UK . I've been working in the UAE as a non residence for a UK company who also have a branch here while paying my usual UK income tax (PAYE) Due to some transfer delays i need a few more months, Can i continue as i am?, is there any authorities i need to make aware. i understand the UK and UAE have a double taxation agreement what does this mean for average layman? Any advice would be appreciated and the supporting legislation where possible. thanks in advance S.,H
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:10:14 GMT by SH1002
Any help here would be appreciated
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:39:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi SH1002,
Yes, there are no time restrictions for you working remotely outside of the UK, while still physically  in the UK.
You would still be taxable in the UK on this overseas income and would declare it in a Self Assessment tax return.
If you are physically in the UAE at the time of undertaking the UAE work, you would need to review the guidance on residency and take the residencey test at RDR3.
RDR3 Statutory Residence Test
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.