Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 07 Sep 2024 16:59:23 GMT by Macca32
Hi, I am a New Zealand/British dual citizen living in the UK since 2001 and UK resident for tax purposes. I have some money in a NZ mutual fund superannuation scheme which is taxed annually on the returns in NZ. The normal age of retirement that you can access these funds is 60. As I have been in the UK for a long time the scheme has an option to withdraw the funds early on grounds of permanent emigration, This would be completed by paying the funds as a cash lump sum via bank transfer into my UK bank account. My question is will this incur any tax liability in the UK as the funds have already had tax paid in New Zealand? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 08:19:27 GMT by Macca32
Can anyone help with this?
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 11:10:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Macca32,
Please have a look a the guidance on offshore funds at HS265.
HS265 Offshore funds
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 12:01:29 GMT by Macca32
Hi Admin 25, Thanks I have just had a look and I don’t think that applies. It is just some money from pension contributions I made when I was still in NZ and I have never payed into it from the UK. I am assuming that I won’t have to pay tax as I have payed tax on it in NZ already and there is a double tax treaty between the UK and NZ. I think my actual question is will I still need to declare the money anywhere in my self assessment return? Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.