Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 17:15:22 GMT by Hdsd
Hi, I am deciding whether to accept a job with an Irish company, that will allow me to commute to Ireland for 3 days a week and 2 days from my house in the UK. The irish has no presence or branches in the UK I am a British citizen who has lived and worked in the UK for the past 30 years. The Irish employer would pay me in my Irish bank account and deduct income tax via the Irish PAYE system. Could you confirm that: -My employer will not have to set up a UK payroll system or pay UK taxes? -I will have to complete a self-assessment and my Irish salary will be declared as foreign income?
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 11:25:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Hdsd,
That is correct. Tax on foreign income: Overview.
Thank you.

Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:53:51 GMT by Hdsd
thanks Admin. Just a follow up, the company which owns my Irish company also owns a UK company. Can you reconfirm Irish company, which would be my employer, would not have to pay any payroll or other Tax in the UK?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:27:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Hdsd,
Non UK resident employers do not need to register as employers in the UK.
This means that they do not need to register you as an employee in the UK.
They need to do this in Ireland.
You will need to request a certificate of residence from:
How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad
So that you can claim with the Irish tax authorities to have your employment income paid tax free, as you are liable to tax on this in the UK.
You complete a Self Assessment tax return to declare the foreign empoyment income.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.