Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jul 2024 01:01:05 GMT by u954243
Hi there, In 2021 while working for a US public company from my home country remotely, I sold my stocks and transferred the money to my home country. Then I transferred this money to another bank in my home country where I bought physical gold. The gold is now in a bank vault. In 2024 I moved to the UK with the Tier-2 skilled worker visa. I want to buy a house in the UK. I plan to return the physical gold to the first or the second bank depending on which one provides the best conversion rate and then transfer the funds to my UK bank account. In my home country I didn't pay tax for the stock sales as there was a special tax amnesty law around 2021 which I benefited from. Not sure if this information is relevant, still wanted to share it. https://vergiport.com/blog/turkey-introduced-a-new-tax-amnesty I would like to understand if bringing this money to the UK could have a tax implication. What documents may I need to provide to HMRC if they need to review anything? Thank you for you help in advance.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2024 09:49:37 GMT by u954243
To add some more detail, while working for this company remotely from Turkey I was a contractor and for monthly payments I was invoicing an intermediary company located in Ireland. Those invoices were taxed and taxed were paid on my home country. The stocks I earned while working over years was brought to Turkey with the tax amnesty law in 2021 as I mentioned earlier.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 12:10:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

As you were resident in Turkey and paid tax there on your self employment, you would not be taxed on this income in the UK, if you were to transfer it to the UK.  If you dispose of those stock while you are resident in the UK, there could be a capital gain tax liability.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2024 22:23:17 GMT by u954243
Thank you very much for the answer. I have one follow up question. As I mentioned on the initial question, I will need to return the physical gold to the bank in Turkey and there need to convert it to GPB before transferring to the UK. Will I have be liable for capital gain tax for selling this gold in the UK? If I am liable how the CGT be calculated?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2024 22:41:04 GMT by u954243
I asked ChatGPT on what I should be liable for paying CGT and it returned this answer. Could this be correct? ===== Selling Gold after Moving to the UK: If you sell the gold after becoming a UK resident, the gain from the sale may be subject to UK CGT. The gain would be calculated based on the difference between the selling price and the value of the gold when you became a UK resident.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 09:18:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you are a UK tax resident and you dispose of foreign assets, then you must declare the disposal in a Self Assessment tax return. If you dispose of foreign assets for more than you acquired them for, then you have a gain, which is taxable in the UK. You will need to calculate the pound sterling value of the assets at the time of acquisition and disposal, using a just and reasonable exchange rate in use at the times in question. For your convenience, there are exchange rates here:

Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format

and for older rates here:

Foreign exchange rates and spot rates: 1 January 1989 to 31 March 2009

You are free to use any of the supplied rates or one of your own choosing. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 15:21:59 GMT by u954243
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 15:35:57 GMT by u954243
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.