Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jul 2024 15:05:59 GMT by Marta Adamson
Hello: I am about to receive an inheritance from my Mum.She was a Spanish citizen. The inheritance consist on shares,1/2 a saving fund,some cash and my share of the sale of her flat. I have paid all the taxes in Spain.Do I have to pay anything in the UK? and could I bring the money over to uk? Also could you tell me if I have to declare a property in Spain if I am not renting it?Everytime I look at the information provided I get mixed messages
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 12:35:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
You do not need to declare the inheritance but you will need to declare any income that is then generated by way of interest or dividends. For the property, if no income is being generated, you dont declare this until you sell or rent it out.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 15:00:08 GMT by Marta Adamson
Hello again: Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply. I don't know if I made myself clear in the previous post, I am a Spanish citizen living in the UK. So even if I do pay tax from those dividends in Spain will I have to declare them? And if that is the case do I do it yearly ( the dividends may be paid out more than once a year) and how?Using a self assesment form?Would I have to declare those dividends every year? Thank you once more.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 12:28:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Marta Adamson,
If you are UK resident and domiciled, you are liable on your worldwide income and you would declare the income as foreign income.
Tax on foreign income
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.