Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 07:00:37 GMT by Ptam
I made additional pension contributions of £11250 to keep myself a basic rate tax payer. My self assessment is showing as completed and that my threshold has been increased accordingly but my tax code hasn't been updated yet. So whilst my threshold has increased, shouldn't this be reflected in my tax code and therefore my pay packet. Otherwise I don't understand how you actually receive the tax relief in your pocket. On the self assessment I gave my bank details to receive a rebate directly and it seems like it would have been a lot simpler just to do that
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 10:41:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ptam,
When you submit a tax return with pension contributions, the relief for these contributions will be reflected in your calcualtion.
This will then also automatically update next year's tax code with a prediction of your pension contibutions, so you receive the relief for these contributions in-year.
If you cannot see the predicted pension contributions in your code, or would like to add them yourself, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.