Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 09:03:52 GMT by Philip Staines
I am considering moving to Croatia for a year under a digital nomad scheme. I am intending to move at the beginning of April and continue to be paid from the UK (of which I am a citizen). I intend to be tax resident in Croatia for the whole of the UK tax year and so not pay income tax in the UK. I own a house in the UK which will not be rented out for the year. Please can you tell me which forms I need to fill in in to achieve tax non-residency ahead of April 2024, and how I would present this information in the self assessment form. Please also tell me what I need to do to secure my NI status for the year I will be abroad. Thanks
Posted Fri, 22 Sep 2023 09:33:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Philip Staines,
You should complete P85 when you leave the UK providing all details regarding your departure from the UK.
If you are continuing to be paid by a UK employer we will consider if a code of NT (No Tax) is applicable.
You cannot do this in advance and should send the form upon your departure from the UK.
If you are not resident in the UK then a Self Assessment record may not be necessary.
We will review this in accordance with the information provided on form P85.
Please contact our National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3500 regarding your national insurance.
Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK (P85)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.