Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:32:08 GMT by
Good afternoon, I have a question regarding certificate of residence (CoR). I live in the UK and have a full time job here, I also do translations of books for a company in Lithuania. Every year, this company asks for a certificate of UK tax residence and pays me money after I provide it. So I would like to ask this: if I decide that for the next 18 months I just want to do translations for Lithuanian companies but continue to physically be present in the UK, would I still receive my certificate of residence? I assume that before issuing it, UK tax officers check the database to see whether the person concerned is working and paying taxes in the UK; but if not, what happens then? I have read some information about automatic UK residence tests and spending time in your UK home, but how can physical presence in the country actually be proved (say, that someone spent here 183 days, not just 150) and what supporting documents might be needed? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:07:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ewa89 S,
Yes, the certificate would still be issued based on you having foreign income.
Your residence status in the UK would be based on the application you submit and your latest tax return held on file.
You don't necessarily have to be in employment in the UK to get the certificate.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.