Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2023 21:06:40 GMT by Tim Cinders
Hello, I would like to transfer £24k to a friend (my ex partner) who helped my out financially over the years many times. It’s basically money that I owe her. I read online that Hmrc only allows 3k to be gifted tax free per year. This confused and surprised me. My question is- can I simply transfer this money to her without a. Having to declare it to Hmrc or b. Her having to declare it (aside from any interest it might earn) Thanks in advance.
Posted Sat, 09 Sep 2023 13:47:37 GMT by Tim Cinders
Hi- does anyone have any thoughts/ advice on this ? Thanks
Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:39:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

There is no Income Tax liablity arising from the gift of cash from one person to another.  

If you are a UK tax resident, then you may need to consider Inheritance tax implications. Gifts below £3000, can be ignored for Inheritance Tax purposes, gift above this amount will need to be included in your estate for Inheritance Tax, should you pass away within 7 years of making the gift. You can see more information on Inheritance Tax here:

How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:06:08 GMT by Tim Cinders
Thanks for this information, admin 19. Could you clarify the second part: Are inheritance tax implications are only relevant concerning family and spouse? Between acquaintances is this of no concern? thanks again
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 11:07:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Please note we do not deal with Inheritance Tax
queries on this forum.  Please contact the
Inheritance Tax Helpline on 0300 123 1072. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.