Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:07:29 GMT by
Hi, I have two jobs. 1 job is £57k annually. I started in October. My tax code is DO M1. My gross month wage was £4,808 my take home was £2,250. The other job is £10k annually. Tax code 1116L/N. I’ve held this role for 4 years. But to complicate things I held another job at the same place, annual salary £45k and I left in October. I called hmrc today about why the take home is so much less than gross monthly wage and queried my tax codes. I was told I was on the correct tax codes. Can this be right? It’s more than a 40% deduction from the monthly wage. Apparently it’s because the £10k job is also taxed at 40% and they are saying I’ve earned more than £10k from this employer in the financial year, and I have because I had two main jobs with them, but I don’t anymore.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:17:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We would need to access your tax records to review the codes. Normally you would be on the D0 M1 code at a second job if your main source of income was using all your personal allowances and the 20% tax band.

If you think that your tax code is incorrect you will need to contact our Income Tax team to check the codes.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.