Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 01 Oct 2023 09:59:18 GMT by
Hi there My partner and I sold our main residence in March (we’d been leaving there 5+ years) awaiting our new property (new build) to be be built. We’ve since completed. My partner owns another small apartment which he bought last year and intends to use as a rental property. We paid 2nd property stamp duty on our new home, as we understood that having any other property meant simply that we were eligible to pay this. I’ve since read that as we were replacing main residence for main residence that we would have been eligible to not pay this. However to potentially complicate this. In the 4 month gap between selling our old and completing our new main residence we’ve been using a mixture of hotels and using my partners additional property. Does this mean that in this interim period as we used my partners property some of the time that it will have been classified as a ‘main residence’? Is there a clear definition? We paid a huge amount of money (over £15k) on 2nd property stamp duty. I’m concerned it would have been a lot cheaper for us to stay in hotels the whole time if using my partners property for some of the time, has cost us.. Any guidance appreciated.
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 07:38:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Please contact the Stamp Duty Land Tax team for advice.

Stamp Duty Land Tax

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 17:03:12 GMT by marc butler
I am in a similar situation, did you det a satisfactory resolution on this?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.