Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:11:45 GMT by Sarah Housley
Hi I left my old employment on 5 April 2024 and my last salary included a bonus payment and unpaid holidays so it was quite a lot more than usual. When I left my tax code was 1313L. I thought that this pay would fall into the final tax period but it actually fell into April 2024 as their pay period ended 7 April. My new job started 8 April 2024 and is paid the last day of the month. I have just received my wage slip and my tax code is 1313L 0 - and I have been taxed about half of my wage. I am assuming that this is because I have had two salaries in April but I am about £900 down from what I calculated I should be - will I get this back over the course of the year or not at all? Someone had told me if I was on emergency tax then I could claim it back but I am not sure whether I am? Just trying to work out if it will correct itself going forward? I have looked online and it has updated my employment details on HMRC website and says my tax code has changed to 1275L. Just trying to understand it all! Many thanks
Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 09:23:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Sarah Housley,
To give you the best advice here, we would need to review your record, employments and codes.
Please contact us by webchat or phone via Income Tax: general enquiries.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.