Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 21:22:09 GMT by garyw5988 williams
Please may I ask if charity donations can be made from capital such as savings and not from income? Context is IHT403 and regular gifts out of surplus income. Reason for asking is that I make large charity donations relative to my regular gifts out of surplus income and so if charity donations can be from capital and not income this would enable me to increase my IHT403 surplus income and thereby gifts. I make regular gifts out of surplus income to my two adult sons. I have taken care to read HMRC IHT400 / 403 notes also IHT manual sections 14241 - 55. I maintain an IHT403 page 8 table each year and keep bank records. I note that IHT403 page 8 “Gifts made as part of normal expenditure out of income”, box 21 “expenditure" does not list “charity donations”.
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:37:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Please contact our Inheritance Tax team for advice.

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 14:00:30 GMT by garyw5988 williams
Thank you HMRC Admin 19. I did what you said, followed the IHT link, posted my question in the Chat but was disappointed 30 minutes later with the response "Agent "HMRC" exits chat". My question is quite simple and must be a fundamental basis for HMRC business: Can charity donations be made from capital such as savings and not from income? It would be very much appreciated if you could direct this to an HMRC person who can answer my query.
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:12:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Unfortunately we are unable to answer Inheritance Tax questions on this forum. We can only direct you to our Inheritance Tax colleagues.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.