Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:11:46 GMT by
I have a permanent post but also hold a second job with the same employer. My tax code is currently 1240L with my substantive post, SD0 (Scotland) with my second. I understand I can earn up to 43662 and remain on the same code, however if I earn anything above this my income would be taxed at 42% for anything over that amount. Could you advise although I have 2 jobs, separate payroll numbers there is a possibility I will go over the 43662 allowed. Would my tax code on my second job reflect the change in earnings and would I need to pay back any overpayment in the next year - if so how does HMRC determine what is the appropriate tax code.
Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:16:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Your code would be based on an estimate of your income. If you think your income will increase during the tax year into the higher rate of tax then your code would need to be adjusted. You can update your estimated pay online if you have a personal tax account.

Personal tax account: sign in or set up

You can also contact our Income Tax team to review.

Income Tax: general enquiries 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 06:59:09 GMT by
Hi, I work for the NHS full time and used to have the tax code 1257L. I recently started working Bank shifts at my Trust (I have done approximately 4 so far in the last few weeks). I know my Bank Tax Code was BR which is fine but yesterday I received a Tax Code Notice from HMRC stating my code on my full time job has changed to 544L X (Bank still BR) because they estimate I will owe £405 by April. Please advise if this is correct as I've only done a few Bank shifts but it appears my full time wage is now being penalised. Kind regards.
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 10:41:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi David
We would need to review your record to check if the amendment to the code is correct. You will need to contact HMRC to review this. Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.