Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2024 21:41:36 GMT by LotteM
Hi there, I am a UK citizen but live, most of the year, in South Africa. I am looking to be employed part-time by a UK employer, and work remotely. I want to pay tax in the UK for this part-time work. I want to be considered a UK Tax Resident for this work. I am typically based in South Africa, but I come back to the UK every year for an elongated period. Some years, this is for 3 months. Other years, it is for 4 months. It varies. I stay minimum 91 days in the UK per year. I also have ties to the UK (my mother, an address at which I am registered, etc.) I think I am considered a UK Tax resident because: - I spend +91 days in the UK per year - I have a registered address / accomodation in the UK - I have family ties in the UK (my mother) - I spend 40 days working in the UK per year - I spent more than 90 days in the UK in either of the two previous tax years Is that correct, that I am considered a UK Tax resident on these grounds? Therefore, can I just pay tax on the part-time UK-employer work in the UK? If so, I’d be paid into my UK bank account and pay taxes on that part time work into the HMRC. Do I still have to declare this to South African tax authorities? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 14:38:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi LotteM,
HMRC cannot advise you on this as it is for you to determine your residence status.
Please refer to:
RDR3 Statutory Residence Test
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 20:02:59 GMT by LotteM
Hello, Okay, thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.