Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2024 11:56:48 GMT by HC
Dear HMRC Admin team,  Hope you are well. Please can you advise on whether I have to pay tax on overseas interest income earned in India, which has not been repatriated to the UK.  I have been staying in the UK, since August 2016 (seven years) on visa (Tier 2 ICT, Student, Skilled Worker).  I have earned interest income overseas in India and as per my understanding from the UK gov website, no tax is payable on foreign income for fifteen years if the permanent home is overseas. I was born in India and hold an Indian passport. My father is an Indian resident and stays /owns a house in India. The annual interest income earned in India ranges from GBP 50 to GBP 2200 from FY 2016-22 and GBP 800 in FY-2022-23. Kindly confirm if this is the correct understanding that no tax has to be paid on the interest income from the year FY 2016-23. Alternatively, please advise if any tax has to be paid and is that tax due to be paid for any overseas interest income above the GBP 2000 threshold. Thanks. Best regards, Harjeet
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:16:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi harjeet.chadha,
Individuals who are resident in the UK, but not domiciled are by default taxed on their world-wide income and capital gains, on the arising basis, whether the income or capital gains, is remitted to the UK or not.
Foreign income or capital gains, are declared in a Self Assessment tax return.
Individuals who are resident in the UK, but not domiciled can elect to use the remittance basis and only pay tax on their UK income and capital gains and any foreign income and capital gains remitted to the UK.
Unremitted income is declared in a Self Assessment tax return.
Please have a look at the guidance at section 9 of RDR1, regarding the remittance basis:
Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1
Foreign income or capital gains should be declared on a tax return, even if no tax is payable.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.