Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 06 Nov 2023 20:25:28 GMT by Woodside
I receive annual untaxed interest on savings from a small number of banks at different dates throughout the year. I never know how much it will be and therefore cannot predict that income with any meaningful accuracy. In the past, when interest wasn't so good, I used to settle, by a single online payment, the tax due before the January following the tax year in which the interest was received. I receive two pensions State and Employment derived pension. HMRC for this 23/24 year are wanting to overestimate the tax due on interest not yet earned and/or received and suggest coding out the due tax for collection from my private pension. This messes my regular income up terribly, as my savings interest is slightly less than £10k but spread around the year. Whereas I need my regular pension payments for my regular bills and food etc. Is there not some possibility to simply continue to settle the tax due on the interest in a single payment around the Sept to December each year following the tax year in which the interest is received, as I have done for the years as long as I can remember?
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 16:28:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
The UK banks notify HMRC of the interest received after the end of the tax year to allow a calculaiton to be issued.
If you want to do this quicker, you can notify us direct yourself.
That will allow you to pay when you want. once your interest goes above £10,000 you will need to complete a tax return and pay the tax through self assessment.
If you want the interest removed from your tax code, you will need to be in self assessment even if below the £10k figure.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.