Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 21:00:46 GMT by
Hello, I have an existing stocks and shares ISA which I have built up over the many years and wish to transfer all of it into cash ISAs but am unsure how many new accounts I can transfer this into (within FSCS limits) and whether I can also open a new cash ISA this tax year. Suppose I have say £200,000 in a stocks and shares ISA with one provider, that I have contributed £5K into that ISA so far this tax year and have also not opened a new ISA account. As far as I understand: 1. The ISA rules only permit you to open one new ISA account per year which I can contribute new money into. 2. I can also transfer my existing Stocks and Shares ISA into say a Cash ISA which doesn't count as opening a new account nor does it use this year's tax allowance (£15K remaining). Is my understanding correct here so far? My current ISA provider does allow full and partial transfers. Of the £200K I have in the Stocks and Shares ISA, I am thinking of transferring it all into a few Cash ISAs for example: 1. Transfer £75K into a 1 Yr Fixed Cash ISA (a different provider) 2. Transfer £75K into a 2 Yr Fixed Cash ISA (a different provider) 3. Transfer the remaining £50K into a 5 Yr Fixed Cash ISA (a different provider) 4. Open a new Flexible Cash ISA (a different provider) and put £15K of new money in it thereby using up all of my remaining allowance I may have overlooked the ISA rules on the HMRC website on this and would be grateful to hear whether I can do all of the above 1-4, if not, what combination is permissible or how I can go about spreading my Stocks and Shares ISA into more than one Cash ISA product.. Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 14:50:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Please refer to:

Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)

You may also want to contact a financial adviser regarding the transfer and its implications as this is not something HMRC has the authority to do.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.