Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:55:31 GMT by
Hi there, I contribute each year with £3000 to my SIPP, and claim relief via SA each year. As a 40% tax payer I get (25% relief) £750 net in my SIPP account and (20% relief) £600 in my SA payment. (I chose to pay in full on the SA calculation, without paying via tax code changes) Every year I get a letter that my personal allowance and PAYE tax code have changed since I have £1500 of Personal Pension relief. Every year I call HMRC to put back my tax code as standard 1257L ... am I doing something wrong or missing out or other reliefs ? Should those £1500 stay there ? They told me on the phone that those are for the next year in case I would contribute again, but it doesn't make sense to me why the number is £1500 in the first place. Thoughts ?
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 15:30:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Your tax code is updated based on the information on the tax return. As you are making the payments to your pension on a regular basis, they should stay in your tax code and it would then only be any increase/decrease in payments that would affect your tax bill.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 11:44:08 GMT by
Sorry I don't understand. I'm claiming the tax relief via SA every year. Am I missing out on further relief via tax code ?
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:43:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

No, as the tax return confirms the final figures for each year whereas your code is an estimate.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.