Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 16:06:10 GMT by
Hi, I possess approximately £10,000 in cash, which I withdrew monthly (i.e., £1,000) from my bank account in Hong Kong and now intend to transfer to the UK, would this money still be categorized as clean capital? And do I need to pay tax on it? Thanks
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:37:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can use the following guidance to help you decide if the monies in the account are clean capital.

Cleansing mixed funds

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:17:51 GMT by
Hi Admin, Thanks for your reply. I might forgot to mention that the withdrawal is done before I arrived UK, so the case is before I came to UK, I withdrew around £1000 monthly from my bank account, and it is approximately £10000 in cash currently, and if I now intend to transfer it to the UK, would this money still be categorized as clean capital? And do I need to pay tax on it? Thanks
Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:06:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi cck123,
Generally speaking, when you are transferring your own existing assets to yourself (repatriation of funds or assets), there are no tax implications of transferring money to the UK.
Only any interest that this capital generates is then taxable.
It is your responsibility to determine if the monies in the account are clean capital and you can use the following guidance to help you decide.
Cleansing mixed funds
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.