Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 21:32:01 GMT by
Hi, When adding a company car through your online system I’m asked the question: How much did you pay before tax, towards the car? How is this to be answered?? Is this the annual upgrade I pay through salary sacrifice? Do we input the annual amount? Do we add up the total monthly upgrade contributions for the contract/lease term? Ie if I pay £150 per month do I multiply this by the 3 year term I have the car and input £5400? It’s not very clear what you want. Also what effect does this figure have, why does this need inputting when adding a company car? Cheers Thomas
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 09:37:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Thomas Martin,
This will be how much you pay towards private use in the car.
If you pay a monthly amount it would be the amount paid in the tax year so for 2023/24 from 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024. 
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2024 13:46:40 GMT by Mark Freeman
This is confusing as an HMRC answer, there is a separate line for the private use fund, so it does not answer the question. The question is Did you pay anything before tax, towards the car? This is also known as salary sacrifice or cash foregone. It indicates it is a historical sum, it asks what DID you pay? As it is salary sacrifice, this is taken monthly, we are encouraged to update records when the car changes, so it should be what WILL you pay before tax towards the car, as salary sacrifice
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 11:05:22 GMT by Emily Kerrison
just wondered did you ever find the answer to this query?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2024 09:00:40 GMT by Krish Riminton
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.