Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:40:30 GMT by
Hello! I have the following question. Following the results of the last financial year (2022-2023), I became a tax resident of the UK. I plan to use the status of 'Non-domiciled' residents. However, I have some shares in public UK companies (like Unilever) that pay me dividends. These dividends go to accounts outside the UK and were not transferred to the UK during the reporting period. Do I have to pay tax on these dividends in UK given that I received them from UK companies? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 07:04:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi 

If you use the remittance basis, you will only pay tax on your UK income / gains and any income / gains remitted to the UK.  
As your dividends were generated in the UK, they will be taxable in the UK, even if paid into a foreign bank account.
Have a look at the guidance on remittance basis, which can be found here:
Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 06:35:12 GMT by Georgios Mylonogiannis
Does HMRC issue a certificate for dividends paid to directors from a UK company ? How does one declare that income?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:24:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
HMRC does not issue a certificate for dividends paid to a director from a UK company.  
This is something the individual and the company would decide and the individual would report this in a self assessment tax return if the dividends exceed £10000.00.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.