Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 21:54:43 GMT by John Halsall
Hi HMRC Team I worked in the UAE for 11 years and was Non-Resident of the UK. Whilst overseas I paid into a Pension Scheme which is based in Jersey and I am now eligible to encash this Pension plan. I am now resident and working in the UK if I encash the Pension plan will this be subject to Tax?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2024 11:15:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The tax treaty between the UK and Jersey can be found here:

Jersey: tax treaties

Article 17 covers pensions,  and advises that as you are resident in the UK, the pension is taxable only in the UK. You would need to contact the Jersey tax authorities to have your pension paid free of tax there.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2024 17:46:43 GMT by Tom Jame
Dear HMRC Admin, I am writing to seek clarification regarding the tax implications and the process involved in selling properties that I own outside the UK, specifically in Iraq, which I acquired before becoming a UK resident and citizen. I plan to sell these properties and bring the proceeds to the UK to purchase a house. Could you please provide information on the following: 1. Am I subject to any UK taxes on the sale of these properties in Iraq? If so, what is the applicable tax rate? 2.What is the proper procedure for bringing the proceeds from Iraq to the UK? Is it preferable to bring the funds via cash or bank transfer, and are there any specific guidelines or limits I should be aware of? I appreciate your assistance in this matter and look forward to your guidance on the steps I need to take to ensure compliance with UK tax regulations. Thank you for your time and support.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 13:05:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
These are questions for the tax department of Iraq to answer and HMRC cannot advise you on how to transfer the funds.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.