Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 24 Sep 2023 19:04:51 GMT by
We are an expat couple currently living in the USA since 2016 and we plan to move back to the UK in 2 years. We aim to sell our primary home in the USA before leaving, pay Capital Gains in the US and transfer the money (~$400-$500K) to our UK account. What tax would apply ? We own 2 properties in the UK which are both rented out and we pay UK tax on the income.
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 10:07:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Unfortunately we cannot comment on future events as legislation and plans may change.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 12:53:53 GMT by
Hi, thank you Admin 32 I appreciate that legislation may change, however, to know what the current state is would be helpful - will you please confirm what would happen today?
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 09:48:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You may be subject to Capital Gains Tax on the USA property, if you return to the UK in the tax year in which it is disposed of. If this is the case, you would be able to claim a credit for up to 100% of the USA Capital Gains Tax paid.  

Have a look at the below for private residence relief, which may apply.

Private Residence Relief (Self Assessment helpsheet HS283)

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:40:43 GMT by
Dear HMRC32 thanks so much that 's very helpful. May I clarify something under current rules? The house to be sold in the USA is our main residence, do the same exemption rules apply?
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:04:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tina Starling,
If it is your main residence and has been for the whole period of ownership, no capital gain would be due.
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2024 09:24:56 GMT by riazali2050 Ali
HMRC Admin I have land in Pakistan and I want to sold that to pay off my mortgage in the UK for my only residence. There are 4 land plots and roughly around £300k sale proceeds of 4 plots in Pakistan. I want to pay off my mortgage. I am 65 years old resident since 1994 and British citizen and tax payer in the UK. Do I need to pay any tax on this money from Pakistan in the UK? All taxes paid in Pakistan The land plots I hold did not generate any income.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:40:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, as this will be seen as a capital gain. You can see guidance here:

Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.