Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:46:17 GMT by Stuart McKinnon-Evans
I have read the https://www.gov.uk/trusts-taxes/beneficiaries-paying-and-reclaiming-tax-on-trusts, which says: Accumulation or discretionary trusts With these trusts all income received by beneficiaries is treated as though it has already been taxed at 45%. If you’re an additional rate taxpayer there will be no more tax to pay. You may be able to claim tax back on trust income you’ve received if any of the following apply: you’re a non-taxpayer you pay tax at the basic rate of 20% you pay tax at the higher rate of 40% If a beneficiary normally files a Self Assessment return, and they report the income received, will that process be sufficient for them to claim any tax back? Thanks
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:49:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Trust income is criteria for completing a self assessment tax return (SA100).  
The trust income is declared on SA107.  
As the trust has already paid tax on the trust income at 45%, anyone who pays tax a lower rate or no tax at all can claim a repayment of the tax already deducted on their behalf by the trust.  
Only where an individual pays tax in their own right at 45%, would there be no refund, as the correct amount of tax was deducted.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 10:15:19 GMT by Dave Hoinville
Exactly how do I claim tax back as a lower rate tax payer using the on-line self assessment. What selections do I make in the "Tailor Your Return" section and then which fields on the return itself do I complete? Thanks
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 09:41:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Dave,
You cannot file online if you have trust income. You will need to  file a paper return or buy 3rd party software.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 12:56:58 GMT by Stuart McKinnon-Evans
Is it acceptable to file an online self-assessment return for all incomes apart from income from a trust, and submit a paper SA107 for the trust income element? Thanks
Posted Fri, 02 Aug 2024 12:53:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,
No. The whole tax return in it's entirety must be submitted in the same format. To be able to submit a tax return online that includes the trust section, will require that you buy a commercial tax return and using your government gateway user ID and password, submit that return by 31 January.
Self Assessment commercial software suppliers
Paper tax returns can be downloaded using the link below and should be submitted by 31 October.
Self Assessment tax return forms
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.