Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 12:47:11 GMT by
What is the process for claiming unilateral relief under S18 by way of credit for foreign tax payable under the law of the relevant country? I am currently working in Brazil with a Digital Nomad visa, after 184 days in the country within any 12 month period I will be considered a resident and liable to pay tax in Brazil. I am wondering how I can claim unilateral relief as I will be paying tax in both the UK and Brazil.
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 14:09:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

You pay tax on the income in Brazil and declare the income on a self assessment tax return. 

In the additional notes, you note that you are claiming unilateral tax relief.

As you have paid tax in Brazil. 

HMRC will review your tax return and if it agrees, will give you a credit for up to 100% the tax paid in Brazil.

Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 15:56:08 GMT by
Thanks for the response, I have further clarifications: I am not self employed, I pay UK tax as PAYE, does your reply still apply? Also, if I start paying Brasilian tax on a monthly basis in April 2024, when would I make my application for unilateral tax relief?
Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:28:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Hannah O'Leary,
It does. you will need to complete a tax return.
For PAYE, you will still complete the employment page and also the foreign income page in order to claim any applicable credit.
Thank you/ 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.