Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 25 Sep 2023 08:52:17 GMT by Anubha
Hello HMRC, I have received interest income about £5000 in Indian NRE account. I am not UK domiciled also I have not remitted any money to UK. Please guide if I need to pay tax on it in UK . Thanks
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 10:33:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Remittance basis 2023 (HS264)

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:25:29 GMT by Dahod
Dear HMRC Admin, My Domicile is India and I am UK resident for tax purposes for April'22 to April'23. I came to UK in Dec'17 and being staying here since. I do sent money regular to my India bank account (NRE) and earn interest there. Dividend is also earned there. Total is <=3000 GBP. Do I need to show foreign income details?
Posted Sun, 07 Jan 2024 19:56:07 GMT by
Can I please check if this 15% relief is applicable only to NRE interest or also NRO interest? If the NRO interest is below tax threshold in India and no tax is applicable in India, can the 15% relief be claimed in Uk?
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 13:19:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Dahood,

As non domicile, you can opt for the remittance basis. You can see guidance here:

Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264)

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:42:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Shivan Gupta,

Under the UK-India Double Tax Convention, NRE account interest taxable in the UK can receive credit not exceeding 15% for Indian tax even if this has not been paid.

UK tax relief not exceeding 15% is available for ten years from the opening date of the NRE account per Article 24(5) UK-India Double Tax Convention.

UK/India Double Taxation Convention  

NRE interest income should be declared within an in individuals UK self-assessment return. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:42:40 GMT by
Hi, I would like some clarification on the tax rate on the interest that will be charged in UK on Indian NRE interest income- will this be 15% maximum even though I am a higher rate tax payer. I understand 15% tax credit will apply
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:52:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi VFPers,
Under the UK-India Double Tax Convention, NRE account interest taxable in the UK can receive credit not exceeding 15% for Indian tax even if this has not been paid. 
UK tax relief not exceeding 15% is available for ten years from the opening date of the NRE account per Article 24(5) UK-India Double Tax Convention.                                                                            
Any excess tax that is due to be paid is dependant on your level of total income declared.
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2024 17:56:15 GMT by shankar sambhu
Hello HMRC Admin, I am have Joint NRE account in India. I have received interest income about £12000 in Indian NRE account. I have never remitted any money to UK from India. Please guide if I need to pay tax on it in UK . Or I need to file Self Assessment . Thanks
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2024 18:21:03 GMT by shankar sambhu
Hello HMRC Admin, I am have Joint NRE account in India. I have received interest income about £12000 in Indian NRE account. I have never remitted any money to UK from India. Please guide if I need to pay tax on it in UK . Or I need to file Self Assessment . Thanks
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 06:32:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi shankar sambhu,
If you are UK tax resident and domicile you are liable on your worldwide income and need to declare this.
If claiming the remittance basis:
Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.