Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 00:37:23 GMT by reddev3
Hi, I have seen a few times HRMC admin reply on these boards with " There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends." in regards to receiving large amounts of cash as a gift (£10k+) Does this mean if a family member gifts me £100,000 and I spend it all on things along the lines of Crypto, Premium Bonds, Non Dividend Stocks, gold etc that I wouldn't have to pay inheritance tax on this gift as long as the money was spent straight away (money spends less than 1 month in my bank) and none of these examples return interest or dividends? Thanks
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 07:54:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Please contact the Inheritance Tax team for advice.

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 08:24:37 GMT by reddev3
Why would I need to do that if the question is about gifts and nothing to do with inheritance?
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 11:03:17 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Not HMRC...because a gift of £100k is treated as a potentially exempt transfer for Inheritance Tax, and it only becomes exempt to IHT after 7 years. Should the person giving you the money not survive 7 years the money will be added back to their estate to calculate any IHT payable. If the person survived less than 2 years the estate is liable on the full amount of the gift, between 2 years and less than 7 then a tapered amount is added back.
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 13:12:31 GMT by reddev3
Ah, see my mistake now. the admin said there was no income tax and that's what i thought the tax was on gifts. Ok thank you.

Feedback .
Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 08:47:19 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Correct, no income tax for you on receipt...only thing I'd say is in such circumstances many people keep the "potential" IHT to one side in case the giver passes within the 7 years, so as not to deprive the estate/beneficiaries in that situation...however, ultimately, if the giver has factored that in and/or everyone is ok with the situation ultimately those funds are yours to do with as you wish.
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 09:44:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi reddev3,
If the individual making the gift is a UK resident, they may find that the gifts they makle may affect their estate for Inheritance Tax purposes.
Please have a look at the guidance here:
How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 10:37:15 GMT by reddev3
got it, thank you. Have a nice day

You must be signed in to post in this forum.