Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 15:58:05 GMT by Zoe
Hi, I am dual British and French national who has lived on and off in the UK since 2014. I have a few questions. 1. I have money invested in France in a trust, I wish to take this money and use it to buy a flat in London - the money from the trust was donated by my parents and to move it I will need to pay tax in France on the gains it has made. Will I need to pay tax again when I bring it into the UK and what is the best way to move this money across into a UK bank account? 2. I have just under £10,000 in a separate personal french account and wish to bring it into the UK to invest. What are the tax requirements on this and how do I need to declare it? Thanks
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:31:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Zoe,
If you are resident in the UK when you remove the money from the trust.
You may have to pay capital gains tax on the gain in the UK, when you declare the gain in a Self Assessment tax return.
To avoid double taxation, you can claim a Foreign Tax Credit Relief (FTCR) of up to 100% of the foreign tax paid.
This will mean you do not have to pay the same tax twice.
Interest arising from the money from your French savings account will be taxable as foreign interest in the UK.
If you paid tax on this interest in France, you can claim up to 100% FTCR, so that you do not pay the same tax twice.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.