Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:28:44 GMT by steph17
Hi. I have been on a student visa for the past 17 months and just switched to a BNO visa three weeks ago. I will be finishing university in 4 months and currently am not employed in the UK or overseas. May I ask if I am a non-residents for this tax year? My parents have a permanent address in Hong Kong and they transfer money from a current Hong Kong bank account to my UK current bank account for my daily expenses, may I ask if i need to pay tax on these payments? And would this tax be due for the tax year ending this month or in 2025? I have a Hong Kong mixed fund bank account with stock and bond. Do I need to report these assets to the UK government if I keep them in my bank account? Is the interest generated from the bond taxable? Or, if I sell the stock and bond now (as a non resident), will I need to pay tax to the UK government? I also have a UK HSBC fixed rate saving account which I opened one month ago with less than £5000 in it, may I ask if the interest generated is taxable? Many thanks!
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:57:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi steph17,
You would be considered resident in the UK for the tax year and would be taxable on your world wide income from the date you moved from your student visa, to the BNO visa.
The cash gifts from your parents are not taxable as they are not income.
Any interest that the gifts generate is taxable and should be declared.
Interest in UK bank accounts is taxable and should be declared.
Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2024 04:38:24 GMT by 2425uni
can IHS FEE for student visa transfer to BNO's Visa apply?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2024 02:08:15 GMT by 2425uni
I currently get the student visa for 6 years, May I ask it is possible that I change my status to BNO visa, and transfer my 6 years IHS payment to BNO Visa which I paid already for student visa? or partial payment ? If so, what's the steps I have to do? Thanks
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 16:19:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Sorry but HMRC do not deal with visas so we are unable to help you with this matter. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.