Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 11:02:53 GMT by
Hi, I currently rent a private house and my type of tenancy is A lifelong inherited assured sitting tenancy the landlord has made me an offer to buy me out for £100k to surrender my tenancy I spoke to HMRC several months ago and also to a solicitor about whether I would need to pay any tax if I was to surrender my tenancy and I was told I wouldn't for my situation. Please could please confirm this again before making a decision 
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:04:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Unfortunately there is not enough information to answer, as a guideline though,

A proper statutory notice to quit has been issued to the tenant, and the notice to quit does not specify any of Cases C-G of Schedule 3 AHA 1986, and that he quit his holding as a result of that notice to quit, if these apply, the compensation is not taxable.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.