Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 09:19:54 GMT by
I am moving to the UK next year and will become a resident. I have my own capital in various forms (cash in accounts, loans, real estate, stocks, etc.). My questions are as follows: Is there an HMRC declaration form to fill out and declare my wealth on the day of my move to the country? What types of supporting documents do you accept (such as tax declarations from my home country, documents from banks, brokers, platforms, etc.)? How can I transfer money to a UK bank account without incurring taxation?
Posted Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:09:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Please refer to:

Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264)

There is no actual declaration form to complete at the time of arrival to show your wealth to HMRC. This may be required by other government bodies to show that you can financially support yourself without any UK government subsidies.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 14 Oct 2023 07:23:01 GMT by
Thank you very much for your reply; it's very helpful. I have a few more questions to clarify. Let's assume I became a tax resident of the UK and I am preparing my first-year tax residence declaration. 1. Let's assume I received some interest income from outside of the UK on my investments or bank accounts. On the first day of my tax residence, my balance was a certain amount of money. On the 365th day, I earned (let's say) 1,000 EUR (the specific amount doesn't matter), and I have to pay tax in the UK. Do I understand correctly that: 1.1. Is a standard report (in English) from that financial institution showing my starting and ending balances (along with the difference) sufficient? 1.2. I heard from some advisers that I should not mix my initial capital and interest (i.e., to have two separate accounts at a financial institution, one for initial capital and one for interest earnings). I found this idea somewhat strange. Could you please confirm that there are no such requirements from HMRC, and I can have it all in one account and just provide the regular report? 2. If I incurred a loss, is there a tax deduction for capital losses? 3. Do I understand correctly that I have to fill out the tax declaration for the tax year (6th April - 5th April), not the calendar year? All my financial institutions generate standard reports based on the calendar year. I am not sure if they have the option to generate reports for the period from 6th April to 5th April. 4. By the way, could you explain the reason for having such a unique tax year (6th April - 5th April)? What are the benefits of this system, and have you considered the possibility of synchronizing it with the regular calendar year? 4.1. Can I (as a private person) have my tax year in the UK as a normal calendar tax year? Thanks for your reply in advance
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:31:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
1. That is correct  
2. Please refer to the section of mixed/clean funds on the link in the previous reply  
3. That is correct  
4. That is government legislation  
5. No you must file income for the UK tax year.
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:43:42 GMT by
Thanks for the answer. I don't understand your reply on my questions: 1.1. 1.2. 2. Please rephrase or give me more details.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:32:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
We are only able to provide general advice in this forum.  
If you do not understand, you should seek financial advice on the  matter.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.