Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 18:01:57 GMT by J1983W
Dear Sir/Madam, I can see these question have been asked before but for some reason I cannot see who posted some of the question. Coz of that I can't connect the answers to questions. Do I need to actively check and report my saving interest? Will I get any notification when I need to check and report? Will HMRC and my bank calculate and report it for me automatically? I am just worried that I may fail to check or report as I am not familiar with the system. Thank you. Have a nice day.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 18:30:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi J1983W,
If you complete a Self Assessment then you would declare the untaxed interest on your tax return.
If not then the banks and building societies will submit the details after the tax year end and your record will be reviewed an if underpaid or overpaid your tax a calculation will be issued. 
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 10:24:58 GMT by Yuki T
Hi - I am in full time employment and with an annual income of £55K received from the employer. Salary income tax has already been handled by PAYE. Last year, 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024, I also got a total saving interest of £6.5k from both UK and overseas banks. Around £3.5k from UK banks and £3k from overseas banks. May I know how to report these income to HMRC? As I saw from the above replies, UK banks will notify HMRC so I can ignore this part? Only have to report those from overseas? Thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 07:32:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yuki T,
You will need to report this in a tax return due to the level of foreign income you receive:
Tax on foreign income
You also need to declare all the UK interest.
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 13:23:04 GMT by billy888
Hi - my husband and I are retired with just state pensions and a small annuity each. We have a joint 2 year fixed rate bond that is due to mature in January 2025. I know we have an annual PSA of £1,000 each and we also have approx £4,000 each of Starting Rate for Savings. As the interest for the bond is over 2 years are both or either of the allowances taken into account for each year or only for the year it matures and interest is assessable? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 07:34:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi billy888
The reliefs due are based on your income in the tax year that the bond matures, so the interest over both years is taxable in the tax year you can access it.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.