Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:45:40 GMT by
My monthly salary in 2022 was £4583 and I was charged a tax of £707 every month. In October 2022 I received a bonus of £1000 and thus was charged £1114 in tax that month, which is fine. But in November 2022 my salary went back to the normal £4583, however the amount taxed changed to £784 and every month thereafter, even though my salary didn't change. Shouldn't the amount taxed be the same as before October? I've tried to claim to have been overtaxed and to claim a refund but the website always tells me I was taxed the correct amount. Can you please clarify this for me? In the end, over the course of the year, I was taxed nearly the total amount of my bonus, whilst receiving the exact same salary amount as before the bonus - this doesn't make any sense. Am I not entitled a refund?
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 07:01:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi mlapao,
Though there may be other explanations, it could be that your tax code has changed to anticipate your monthly income increasing by £1000.
Which, had this been correct, would mean more of your overall income being due at the 40% tax rate.
To allow us to update this, or confirm if your tax has changed for another reason, please contact us by webchat or post here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 10:23:35 GMT by
That's precisely my point: my monthly income DID NOT increase by 1000 pounds, that was a one time bonus. And yet, I kept getting taxed as if it did. Shouldn't I be entitled to a refund?
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 09:46:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
We would need to access your record to check if a repayment is due.
You can contact HMRC:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.