Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 20:05:34 GMT by Ash Stansfield
So I currently work a 0 hr contract (earning about £500-600 per month at most as I'm earning the minimum wage for 18 year olds.) I've just started a second job (also 0 hr contract and temporary) elsewhere and have seen that I'm being taxed 20%. I've heard that a second job is taxed no matter the earnings, while I've also heard that I will only be taxed if it's over the income threshold (which I'm not as I will be earning £60 a week maximum on this second job as they are very short shifts). Just wondering what's correct here - am I to be taxed on the second job no matter what or will I get this money back in April?
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 13:47:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
The standard Personal Allowance is £12,570, which is the amount of income you do not have to pay tax on. If you have not earned over this amount by April across all of your employments, any tax paid will be refunded to you.
However, it's most likely that your first job has all of these tax free allowances allocated to it. If you would like us to spread your allowances across both of your employments, or would like additional advice, please contact our Income Tax team.
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.