Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 14:51:10 GMT by Apial Spencer
I have been living in Dubai for the last year and I am a UAE tax resident. I have UK private pensions that I wish to withdraw. I understand that under the DTT, private and State pensions from the UK are only taxable in the UAE. So withdrawing the pensions would require a DTT claim form filling, and pension providers would be given a NT tax code. I will in two years be moving to Portugal. Will HMRC want to charge me tax for moving to Portugal, having already claimed the tax back whilst living in Dubai? I know that returning to the UK within 5 years would trigger a tax charge, but I will not be returning. Can you please advise me on the above. Many thanks
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 11:39:34 GMT by Apial Spencer
Would anyone care to offer an opinion or where I might find the answer? I don’t think it would be prudent to just go ahead and then end up with a 6 figure tax bill.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 05:48:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Apial,
To claim relief from UK taxes on your UK pensions under the terms of the UK/UAE(Dubai) Double Taxation treaty, please complete form DT-Individual.
HMRC will not charge you for moving to Portugal, but when you move there you should submit a fresh form DT-Individual, claiming relief under the terms of the UK-Portugal DTA.  
Double Taxation Treaty Relief
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.