Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:04:06 GMT by Logan
I am a US citizen and veteran. My wife is an EU national and moved to the US with me on a fiance visa. We now plan to move back the UK permanently. I will be applying via spouse visa. In the US I receive approx. $4,300 per month via military disability compensation (not retirement or pension). We plan to use those payments as proof of income for the spouse visa process. The payments are not taxed in the US. As far as I understand I do not need to pay taxes on that income while I am living in the UK. I am looking for confirmation on this matter. My other concern is that by declaring the US military compensation payments during the spouse visa process, it might be subjected to different tax laws, and therefore could be taxed later down the road. Please advise, thank you in advance!
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:41:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Logan,
This income sounds similar to a UK war pension/armed forces disability pension and is not taxable in the UK.
We cannot comment on future events as legislation and/or plans may change.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:11:48 GMT by Logan
Would declaring it in the visa process change anything as far as taxation? Would the income need to be self reported if deposited in a UK bank account? Would it be taxed in that case? Thanks again.
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 13:39:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

The income is not taxable in the UK and doesn't need reporting.

You would need to check with the Home Office regarding the visa information required.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.