Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:45:05 GMT by claliamin XXX
How should I pay tax on income from savings, if total interest earned in below £10k but above £500? Do I need to pay it myself ? or HMRC will change my tax code and therefore I don't need to do anyhting? Does the tax code change mean that I will pay more tax on my salary every month this year? or will the charge be a one-off charge?
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 06:41:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi claliamin XXX,
If any tax is due on your income from savings, HMRC will inform you of the amount after the end of the tax year.
This tax amount will then either be collected through your tax code, or will be payable via Simple Assessment - more details on how you can pay will be provided on the calculation HMRC will send you if tax is due.
Paying any underpayment through your tax code means paying more tax through your wages.
In addition to this, once we know the total interest amount owed for a tax year, we use this amount to predict the interest amount owed for the next tax year - we then put this amount through your next year's code.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 21:03:10 GMT by helenr
What happens if I’m retired and only getting my occupational pension. I would prefer to pay the amount of tax owed directly to you rather than have my tax code changed - is this possible?

[Display name amended - Admin]

You must be signed in to post in this forum.