Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 15 Jul 2023 09:42:21 GMT by
Hi there, I am a UK citizen, my father holds both a UK and Turkish citizenship. If my father wants to help me financially by sending me money from turkey to my UK bank account, are there any implications from a tax perspective that my father or I need to be aware of? Furthermore is there any tax implications for whether regular scheduled monthly amounts are sent vs large lump sums once a year? Is there any limit to what can be sent within e.g. a year such as an allowance or is it unlimited? If my father has paid all necessary taxes in Turkey are there any implications or any administrative requirements needed of him to send me money to my account, or would all tax liabilities fall solely to me as the recipient? Thank you in advance
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 06:39:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi addyt13,
There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax.  
Further guidance can be found here:
Tax on savings interest
Tax on dividends
There could be inheritance tax implications, if your father's estate has UK assets:
Inheritance Tax: general enquiries
You may also want to review the guidance here:
How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:46:28 GMT by
Thank you so much for coming back to me. I didn't get a clear answer using the general enquires to clarify a point you made above, but are you saying inheritance tax is only due on UK assets? One last question, is my father gifting me money seen as a completely seperate action to him bringing his own money to his own UK account which he normally declares and pays tax on?
Posted Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:18:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

The gifting of money does not attract Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax.

However, if your father is a resident of the UK, when he dies, that cash gift, if more than £3000, could be added to his estate for Inheritance Ttax purposes, if gifted within 7 years of his death. You can see guidance on Inheritance Tax here:

Inheritance Tax

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.