Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 04 Feb 2024 21:44:53 GMT by
Hello! I want to register as a Sole Trader, but I want to work in multiple fields at once. For example, selling something, as well as offering software development services. Please advise me on the best way to do this: should I register in one Self Assessment and get one UTR, or do I need a separate UTR for each type of activity?
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 11:51:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi AnastasiaT,
Please register for Self Assessment as self employed as normal, as a single UTR is all that is required for multiple trades.
This will ensure that lass 2 and class 4 National Insurance can be applied to your net profits.
Set up as self-employed (a 'sole trader'): step by step
As you will have more that one busines running side by side, you will need to keep separate accounts for each business.
When completing you Self Assessment tax return, you will declare the gross turnover and expenses for each business separately, with each business declared on its own individual SA103 supplementary page.
If your combined gross turnover from all your business ventures exceeds £85000, then you may need to register for a VAT account.  Have a look at the guidance here:
Register for VAT
For more information on VAT.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.