Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 14:55:06 GMT by
I'm about to fill in a SA as my income (before tax etc) just tipped over £100k last year. But with pension contributions and gift aid my income is below £100k. The only pension contributions I made were to my employer's pension scheme and all those contributions came out of my pay before tax. On the SA, in the box "Pay from [employer] - total from your P45 or P60. Enter the amount before tax taken off" do I put in my gross pay (say £102k) or my gross pay with the pension contributions taken off (say £90k)? I feel like it should be the former, because the £102k figure is why I'm filling in a SA. But if I put that in I can't see anywhere to account for my £12k pension contributions to bring my adjusted net income down below £100k. So should I be using the £90k figure? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 19:31:12 GMT by
It doesn't sound Ike you can include those pension contributions on your Self Assessment return as they would have already been deducted when determining your taxable pay amount. As shown on your P60. What does your P60 show your taxable pay as? If it's £102k then presumably you actually earned £114k and the pension contributions reduced this to £102k. If it's £90k you cannot claim anything via your Self Assessment return. "The only pension contributions I made were to my employer's pension scheme and all those contributions came out of my pay before tax"
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 17:15:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
As your pension payments are under the net pay arrangement you do not include these in the tax return.
These are not included when working out adjusted net income so it is the £120k that you will declare.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.