Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2023 03:06:50 GMT by
Hi, I lived and was employed in the UK for many (> 10) years. I permanently left the UK in 2019 but continued to receive income in the UK and realized non-resident capital gains that I reported in self-assessment tax returns. This situation has now changed, and I will no longer receive any income in the UK. I believe that I have no reason to continue submitting self-assessment tax returns, but I was trying to confirm this by using Understandably, most questions seem to be phrased for UK tax residents, but I'm not sure how to understand them given that I'm not-resident, and that's where I'd like to get clarifications. Question 1. Did you work for yourself between 6 April 2022 and 5 April 2023? Question 2. Did you work as an ‘off-payroll worker’? Does being self-employed outside of the UK count ? Question 4. What was your total income for the year? Presumably only UK income should be considered ? or does that mean world-wide income ? Question 6. Did you get more than £10,000 from dividends or savings and investments? Does that also include dividends and savings from outside the UK ? I realize that the answers I gave to progress through the form may have shaped some of the following questions, so that the question numbers may change, etc... Anyway, the general theme is how to understand all the questions as a non-resident (for 4 years now) ?
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:01:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi ,
On the basis of the information provided, you no longer meet the criteria for Self Assessment,  as you no longer have any
UK income or capital gains.

You can request the closure of your Self Assessment record by writing to or phoning HMRC.  

See :

Self Assessment: general enquiries  .

Thank you  .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.